Tuesday, July 12, 2016

How to Combat Writer's Doubt

How to Combat Writer's Doubt

Self doubt is something that every single writer deals with. If someone tells you that they haven't experienced it before, they're lying.

I feel like the absolute scariest part about writer's self doubt is that there's no surefire cure for it. I think of self-doubt as one of those terrible illnesses that can only be treated, not cured. But it can be treated. And that's the important thing to remember.
Image result for actually i can
Because you can. 

Over the years, I have experienced firsthand so much self doubt that I consider myself an expert on the topic. For me, self-doubt begins to hit me hard right around the time I'm about a quarter through writing the first draft. Up until then, everything's been going great. It's a new book and I'm excited about writing it. But then, suddenly, all this negativity starts flooding through my head, and I think, Dawn, you're never going to finish this book. And you shouldn't, either. Because it's freaking terrible. 

And then I actually start to believe what I'm thinking. Which is awful.

Here's what I can tell you. Self-doubt is like a slow spreading poison. It stops all of your creativity and zaps you of your talent. You need to stop it before it spreads everywhere.

If a snake bites you, you suck up the poison and spit it out. That's essentially what you need to do here. And this is how:


1) Remind yourself that the first draft does not need to be perfect. No one goes out there and writes a killer novel on their first try. That's not how it works. First, you write the first draft. Is it full of plot holes and awkward dialogue and underdeveloped characters? Maybe. But that's okay. The editing process exists for a reason. That's when you go back and fix all the errors you made before.

2) Whatever you do, do not edit while you go. For me, personally, when I try and edit or reread my work while I'm still writing, it tends to be crazy counter-productive. All it does is show me all of the terrible mistakes I've made and overall just makes me feel shitty. You don't want to feel shitty.

3) If all else fails, take a break. Whether it's ten minutes or two months, sometimes all you need to do is take a break from your novel. It's possible that you're too invested in your work for you to see it with open eyes. You see all the flaws, but none of the good things. And trust me, there are good things. When you come back, reread all your work. (This may seem contradictory to what I said above, but it's not. This method is for when you want to fall in love with your novel all over again.) Remember the reason you started writing it in the first place.

4) Listen to some music. This last one may seem kind of funny, but personally, nothing gets me more inspired and in the mood to write than listening to some good novelling music. (I recommend Emily Hearn.)

And finally, keep at it. Don't give up. If you're serious about this thing, go and write. Really, truly, believe in yourself. Finish that book. It doesn't matter if it's next week or next year, this book or a different one, but someday, you will finish your book. So write. That's the most important thing (and the best thing) you can do.

Overall, the entire writing process can make you doubt yourself. Writing a book is intimidating. Scary. People might even laugh at you. But—and this is possibly my favorite quote of all time—, remember:


That's all I have for you! Of course, these tips are just what I think works best and what I've learned from my personal experience. That doesn't mean it'll work for everyone, but it worked for me, so I thought I'd share this with you guys.

Much love,

Dawn 

No comments:

Post a Comment