Monday, July 18, 2016

On Three Teen Writing Comps You Should Definitely Try :)

On Three Teen Writing Comps You Should Definitely Try :)

This post is going to be a bit different, but since it's nearly application season for so many writing competitions and programs out there, I thought I'd talk about this. If you're looking for a place to get your writing recognized and/or awarded, here are a few places to get started!


1) Scholastic Art & Writing Awards (link)

Age group: 7th-12th grade

Scholarships: Yes

Selective: Very (regional is a bit easier; national is a lot harder)

Application Date: Annually: Every September-December

Fee: $5 per entry; can be waived

So, I'm probably (definitely) a bit biased towards this organization, since last year in the Awards I received a national Gold Medal for my novel, along with two regional keys for my other work, but believe me when I tell you that this is a terrific competition. They have scholarship opportunities open for high school seniors and special cash awards for few other categorical entries. But money aside, this is a great organization if you're looking for a place to get your work fairly judged and possibly awarded.

Just a quick disclaimer, though: The Scholastic Art and Writing Awards is a very selective competition, so no award is earned without merit. To put it into perspective, over 300,000 entries were submitted to the Awards last year alone; only 2,000 received national honors.


2) YoungArts Foundation (link)

Age group: 15-18 years or in 10th-12th grade

Scholarships: Yes (Cash prizes; can be applied for scholarly uses: tuition, etc.)

Selective: Very (more competitive than Scholastic, but like Scholastic, there are different levels, ranging in difficulty)

Application Date: Annually, in fall

Fee: $35; can be waived

I don't have any firsthand experience when it comes to this competition, but from what I've heard and seen, YoungArts is an excellent foundation. You can apply in a variety of "disciplines", and within the writing discipline alone there are multiple categories (including poetry, short story, novel, etc.). You can be awarded a Merit Award, an Honorable Mention, or be named a Finalist. Finalists can then become eligible for a U.S Presidential Scholar of the Arts award. If you become a Finalist, you are invited to a program, either in New York, Los Angeles, or Miami, to further your learning in your selected discipline.

Like I said before, I can't speak for the experience, since I don't have any, but it sounds like an incredible opportunity for high school students of age. You can bet I'll apply as soon as I become eligible!


3) Creative Communications (link)

Age Group: K-12

Scholarships: Not exactly (small cash prizes awarded)

Selective: Slightly (Much easier than aforementioned competitions, but definitely still noteworthy)

Application Date: Seasonal (one is always going on)

Fee: None!

In Creative Communications, you can enter in either the poetry or essay category. The contests are seasonal, so you can enter at nearly any given time. The top 45% of the entrants are invited to be published in an anthology, and the top ten winners of each grade receive $25 and a free copy of the book. It's an easier contest to enter, as listed above, but it's still a good one. I was in seventh grade when I entered. It was the first writing contest I'd ever entered in, and I was over the moon when I discovered I'd won. I really like this organization for that reason. Creative Communications is a great platform for beginning writers to get validation in their work, and start to believe in their writing.


That's it! Those are the main contests I'm covering today. I steered clear from contests that have a clear prompt present, mainly because I find those to be constricting in terms of creativity. I may end up adding to this later, but that's what I have for now.

Much love,

Dawn

2 comments:

  1. cool contests! really want to try for that first one:)) what was your experience like with them, just wondering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! my experience with scholastic was definitely a positive one :) they really are a great organization, and their staff are more than helpful. good luck!

      Delete